Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wedding Coordinator - Box Checked!

I'm in Raleigh today for work - I really don't want to be here. I would much rather be at home thinking about the wedding. To make me feel better, I thought I would post a blog about a update.

The venue is ALMOST secured....we are SO close. But, still don't want to jinx it. Also, all bridesmaids are selected and talked with....but since I am not at home I can't get their lovely pictures to post yet.

Last night we secured our wedding planner. I debated back and forth on having a wedding planner versus doing everything myself. When the facts came down to it, we decided on getting a full coordinator because:

1. We are not in LA everyday - so we need the help going to the venue and getting all the logistics in order
2. We absolutely need day-of coordination - I do not want to worry about any detail on my big day.
3. We are dealing with a lot of Indian vendors - which means a lot of negotiating - I don't have the time or the energy, nor do my parents
4. We both have a FULL time job - that takes up most of my evenings as well. I can't possibly do all this heavy lifting.

In doing the research on wedding planners, I learned a couple of key things:
1. Some wedding coordinators are JUST planners - and say they do a lot more but really are just utlra project managers - in which case they are only really good for "day-of" coordination
2. Some wedding planners take on all of the decorations as well - which for an Indian wedding is a HUGE feat! One of the planners I spoke with was an artist - she made her own centerpieces and her goal was to make it a unique and extravagant event for all the guests. These people also charge a pretty penny for their services. I'm sure they are good, but you are really giving up your ideas, your creativity and your control as the bride and groom
3. Some wedding planners sit right in the middle. They are excellent project managers and pride themselves on that, but then also have done enough weddings to have some knowledge on themes, story boarding a layout, color palates, decorations, etc.

The main thing, I have found, in choosing someone is to ask as many questions as you can think of and talk to a couple of references - - -and ask what they did well and what they could have done better.

Given all this, our wedding planner - Amy Patel, from Planning Elegance falls in the third category. She is an awesome project manager and knows enough to be dangerous - - and give sound advise on the other fronts.

Now that she is on board, and we have done tons of research on caterers, decorators, priests, flowers, photographers, etc...I am hoping things will all start falling into place and we can start locking down some contracts!

Below are two videos and a link of weddings she coordinated...it's cute. It's probably a great video to watch for the non-Indians, who want to get an idea of what an Indian wedding is like.






1 comment:

  1. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too Shopping Saver Australia complicated and very broad for me.

    ReplyDelete