Sunday, July 11, 2010

Family wedding planning....I'm in LA!!!!



Wedding countdown has officially begun. I arrived in LA Friday afternoon, and already we have gotten so much done. All the details are now coming into place, and I can see this wedding coming together before my very eyes. It's all so wonderful. My aunt and uncle from India have arrived as well, and we have turned our house into a assembly line of craft working! I have realized today how joyous joint family living can actually be. It's something I never really understood before....and being that I grew up in the US, I thought the Indian way of "living together" under one roof was kind of strange. Well, today I got a dose of how wonderful it can actually be....

Our assembly line project: We have a "grand plan" for our table numbers....something I guarantee no one has ever done before. Since Saurab is a classical musician, it was very important to us to ensure that music and his beloved composers were all embedded into the wedding. So, each table is not a boring table number. Each table will be a composer, with quite a detailed description of who that composer was and "our" favorite pieces from them (I just hope no one asks me anything about them at the wedding.....yea, I'm not the pianist....I'm just marrying one :-) ). We were going to put them in frames and have them placed on the tables. Of course, I had to get it approved for "thematic consistency" by our decorator Fayaz. His response was "not a chance unless you have them encrusted in moss" ....after all we do have a nature theme going. Well,  not only have we added some moss, we have made these so beautiful these composer will be rising from their graves to be at our wedding! :-)

So, here was the assembly line of workers...my mom, my dad, kaka, kaki, Mahesh Uncle, and Sonal Aunty..SO much fun!!!! People who are attending the wedding - get ready to learn your composers!!!! Saurab's dream would be that people's "oooohs and ahhhhhs" turn into some interest and curiosity about these composers. I think he would get very emotional if he saw our guests writing down the names of his favorite pieces to go listen to.....hint hint!!! :-)

Our Quality Control Supervisor, Sonal Aunty...


. As my kaki says, they were all covered in "ghas" (grass) :-). I kept cracking up every time she called moss, grass! :-)  We got half way through today, but the final product looks awesome. I think we did Fayaz, our decorator, proud....


  ...And then we had some Kaki and Anjani papdi cutting for dinner...I think this is the moment I realized that this joint family living thing could be pretty neat!







20 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your wedding pictures. It looks like you guys are having so much fun in the middle of all the stress and planning a wedding can hold. We're so happy for you guys and we're cheering you on from Chicago!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting married? Visit http://www.bigindianwedding.com for complete details on how to plan your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello
    I'm from Portugal, and next month I will go to India, to a wedding off a friend.
    Can you give me a big big help?!
    what is offered to engaged couples in a Indian wedding?
    In Portugal, couples like to recibe money, but in Indian i really don't no.
    Can you give me a advice?

    Thank you very much

    bye
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. my e-mail is sara_o_sousa@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to see everyone pulling together. We make custom wedding cards and stationary, which can be such a vital part of personalising your weddding, so it's great to see you've taken this one step further by creating your own place names!

    Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwcOPs9WdVU

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, the first thing that came to mind once I landed on your blog was.."how did you do it?" I mean, capturing every moment using lenses and words..well, as you can see I am at loss of words. I am a wedding planner, and I will certainly mention this on my website, I am sure many of my visitors would take inspiration.

    And yes, what a beautiful title: "An Indian wedding: One moment at a time".

    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Amit

    ReplyDelete
  8. our wedding day is the most important and memorable moment of our life. For many the idea of getting away from all the stresses of organising a wedding at home and having a wedding abroad can be a very attractive idea. Especially when we can organise the entire wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the information, I checked out your website and I like your post

    www.bigindianwedding.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice wedding plan and I do enjoyed your post. Big thanks for sharing and nay updates or photos please? I'm excited to see those fantastic photos. Thanks.


    Charles | makati condo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post ! it was very informative. I look forward in reading more of your work. Also, I made sure to bookmark your website so I can come back later. I enjoyed every moment of reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don them having a short dress up for just a elegant punch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect custom wedding songs are produced to suit your style, your taste as well as your words. Superbly crafted to provide you with that special walk lower the isle, first dance along with a song which will forever express your passion for your lover and also the existence you have selected to reside together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Indian weddings are truly amazing and traditional. there are so many fantastic and stunning indian wedding traditions that will truly make you want to know more about Indian culture. that's what exactly Indian culture did to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice it all you all post nice and your this post i like it. Its impressive to me and informatics. Thanks for quot.. Wedding Planner in India

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quantity of conditions that has to be avoided is actually abundant. Nevertheless, regardless of everything that, you might also need to keep the feelings of kids or all people that are close by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow great writing what can we say hard work always pays for best wedding invitations follow us

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post is extremely radiant. I extremely like this post. It is outstanding amongst other posts that I’ve read in quite a while. Much obliged for this better than average post. I truly value it! venues in georgetown texas

    ReplyDelete