Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Decorator - Finalized


Another HUGE box checked. I would have updated the blog sooner if I wasn't travelling so much for work these days. Work has really gotten to be a bear......and very little time out of the day is left for doing anything wedding related. So, I am VERY VERY VERY happy that we signed on with Fayaz Chamadia from Hub Design as our decorator.

A couple of posts back I talked about the decorator RFP process we had used. We spoke to many talented decorators and narrowed it down between Shawna Yamamoto and Fayaz. We had extensive visioning conversations with each of them, and were really torn between who to go with. At the end of the day, we decided with Fayaz based on our gut feeling - no checklists on this one, guys. We had an absolutely lovely conversation with him, that got me to a higher level of excitement and energy as each moment of the conversation went on. He was able to tap into the theme I had in my head seamlessly.....it's as if he had been in my head all along and was able to take what I was envisioning in my mind and pull it into a cohesive design and theme across all the events. I guess that's what I would say can be the critieria for deciding......after using the RFP process, which decorator is able to give life to what you are envisioning? is the decorators vision seamlessly connected with yours? are you able to see your wedding day come to life with the vision they have drawn up? and lastly, are they passionate about your vision just as much as you are? I think that is the recipe for a great partnership with a decorator because they will be turning imagination into something that can be seen, touched, felt, and smelled.

The one phrase that completely embodies the design I have always imagined (since I was a little girl) was something I didn't put in the RFP.....this phrase has always been "Garden of Eden" where nature and beauty grow wild. I wanted to see if the decorators could pull the same phrase as the capstone for what I wanted to create. Ironically, Fayaz's opening line in our conversation with him was "I envision this being like the garden of eden....something that looks like it is 1000's of years old" ........ could I have gotten anything that was more eye to eye than that!!! His opening line perked me up, and the rest of the conversation sealed the deal!

For my theme, which we all know by now, is grounded in nature - hearing things like:  "I picture a vintage mandaap in a romantic Indian garden, where Heer and Ranjha play" just makes me warm and fuzzy.


Have others experienced this type of instant connection with their decorator? I'd love to hear about others experiences and how you narrowed down your selection.

6 comments:

  1. I like your theme, its very interesting, I can't wait to see pictures of how it looks. To answer your question on how I came to know about your blog: it was purely through googling "cost of rancho del sol pacifico." I am glad stumbled upon this blog, as I love reading about Indian wedding planning.....if I have ideas, I will definitely shoot it your way...none for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative and thoughtful to mother nature, I love it! I'm glad you finally found the perfect decorator for your theme.. This topic is definitely next on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. When are your weddings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from the Chicago area originally, but my fiance and I met and now live in LA. After we chose to have our wedding in LA, I realized I don't know anyone who has had an Indian wedding here. With no family or connection to the Indian community in LA, I started with no point of reference and found the early part of the process to be quite challenging. In fact, I went through the exact same second-guessing of our venue AFTER signing for it as you did! And then went back to our first instincts. So when I stumbled across your blog, (after contacting Fayaz) I couldn't stop until I had read every last post. Thank you for taking the time. Truly very helpful. And I'm going to steal your RFP idea. Hope you don't mind...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anu - This is exactly what I was hoping for! For people to find my blog and know that there is someone else experiencing what they are likely to experience. Your message warmed my heart and gave me a sense of purpose for why I write into what sometimes feels like a black internet hole! :-) Thank you so much for your feedback! Lot's more posts to come!!!

    ReplyDelete