Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Venue Locked Down!!!


I am LOVING the comments on the blog posts....now I feel like people are actually reading what I write versus it being an online black hole diary in Internet space!

The last time I talked about venues, I mentioned that there was a definite top contender but that I didn't want to jinx anything until we signed the contract. As of today, the contract is SIGNED!!!

On July 24th, 2010 we will be getting married at Rancho Sol Del Pacifico, a private estate perched on the hills of Malibu overlooking the ocean and the mountains. Finding this place was no easy task and getting there was even more daunting...once you find the street to turn on from PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) it is a steep windy narrow road ALL the way up the hill till you get to this 26 acre estate. Everything will be outside...the mandap, the reception...everything under a hopefully full moon sky!

The place is up so high that there are sweeping views of the ocean but it's too high to hear the ocean. That was my biggest issue with locking this place down...I wanted the ocean...but at the end of the day (after looking at about 20 more places over the web), the beauty of this entire place makes up for the sound of the ocean. Maybe one of my bridesmaids can bring an ocean sounds CD and play it during the whole event :-)

When Saurab and I entered the estate, in our hearts we just knew that this was it. It matched our theme of "ocean-nature-art" perfectly. Al, the owner, is a stunningly successful businessman who has created a haven with vineyards, horses, and a Mediterranean villa surrounded by hills, mountains and the ocean. I can't think of anything that matches what we were looking for more perfectly. AND the best part....IT'S NOT A HOTEL!!!! Yea!!! I really thought I would have to end up settling for a hotel given how much I was griping about it. It not being a hotel does pose some interesting challenges, such as having shuttle transportation for our guests to go up and down the hill, having another blocked hotel in Santa Monica (which is 30 min away) where guests can stay, etc etc....but we can work those details out....at the end of the day, it will be a magical event at a magical place...and it will be different than anything anyone has ever been to!

Ironically, in the days of venue hunting, I had either forgotten my camera or never thought about taking pictures at any venue other than this one. That was a sign in and of itself....

As I mentioned, Al breeds thoroughbred horses at his estate. So Saurab, got to meet the horse he'll be riding in on...













Also, Al, is a musician, like Saurab. Saurab got to play on his 100 year old Steinway piano with original ivory keys for nearly half an hour. When he plays the piano I can't even describe the energy that permeates with the sound of every key...it's almost as if he filled Al's house with his soul through his music. He got a huge applaud from the Sony team that was filming there...and he made my whole family quite emotional! It was brilliant. Given this experience, selecting this location was also a no brainer!





We then went back down the hill in all our excitement and had some amazing fish tacos and then drove to San Diego. My mom was very reluctant to let her future son in law leave :0)





7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to be reunited with that piano!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow anjani - the venue is beautiful! btw - which photographer did you go with?

    Jinita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you, but that sounds very hard to get to and dangerous if guests have been drinking. Wouldn't it be easier if it was at a hotel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure who posted the last comment since it says Anonymous...but thanks for the concern. Yes, we definitely thought about that in our decision making process, but at the end of the day we felt that for us, hotels were ultra cliche and boring. We wanted something that had all of the elements that were important to us, since it was our big day, and this place embodies them all. We'll likely provide a shuttle to get up and down the hill, and apart from that we trust that our guests will be able to take proper responsibility. :-) Plus we don't have an outrageous drunkards...I don't think. :-) SO yes, hotel...easier...but that wasn't one of our critiera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi-My fiance and I have been venue shopping as well and are planning on seeing a list of places this coming week in southern california. We are from chicago and having our wedding out there. Rancho Sol Del Pacifico is one of our choices for the location. I'd love to communicate via email with you to see what hurdles if any you are having. We would have our wedding and reception there. Our ceremony will be a little unique since it will be an interfaith marriage. My email is sharmeenyounus@gmail.com, I'd love to hear about your experience so far. We are planning for end of April/early May....Thanks in advance, Sharmeen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your site give very helpful information which is related to wedding.I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this length!

    It’s flattering for everyone, can match almost any dress style and silhouette, and is low

    maintenance.

    I am inspired to add a flyaway or 2 to my new collection :)

    Great article!www.bayliy.com

    ReplyDelete