Monday, October 19, 2009

Engagement Party

Ok folks. I know I never said anything about the engagement party - and I haven't returned most people's phone calls regarding last weekend. I know, I know...

I needed the time to process everything. It was a BIG weekend, and for anyone that thinks that engagement party is just a party.....think again. For a bride, I guarantee, it will be an emotional day.....especially an Indian bride. It's like a little mini wedding - and well, I was overwhelmed. It's a bit nerve wrecking because there were only 30 people there - - - - there will be 300 people at the wedding!!! Geez.

So, what makes these things so nerve wrecking. First of all, as a bride you make sure everyone is on their best behavior - - - and we literally take it upon ourselves to manage everyone's expectations. Lesson learned - - - let it go, and use the time instead to soak the event in.

Next, we get dressed up like little mini brides. I got dressed up at home with my mom helping me....um......emotional! Then seeing my dad, having him see me.....ummmm.......emotional! Word of advise....I have none. I don't know how to deal with this part. Indian parents always seem to feel that they are "giving away" a daughter, and with that comes emotion....don't fight it, I guess.

Next up, the puja - - - it's like a mini wedding. Someone told me yesterday that had we sat there for an hour more, we could have just gotten married! It was nice, but make no mistake that you are THE center of attention. Brace yourself!

All else is amazing and overwhelming - - -  the swarming of people to say congrats and give gifts ranging from silver coins to nuts to saris to jewelry, one after another....I still don't remember who gave what, they were coming so quickly. One of the best gifts we received is a picture from Saurab's uncle of Lord Hanuman with his mother, Anjani (yes, thats where my name came from, sort of...). I had never seen a picture of Anjani displayed in any temple. Supposedly there is only one temple in India that has a statue of Hanuman with Anjani, and Saurab's uncle went there to take the picture and send it to us. So so so amazing!

All in all it was a very emotional and blessed weekend. My parents were in town from LA for the whole thing, along with my maid of honor Poorvi, who came in for this from Boston. It meant the world to me that they were all here. Saurab's brother also flew in from DC with the whole family, which was great. When we first planned this, there were only supposed to be immediate family members at the ceremony, but, unbeknown to us we had chosen a weekend that overlapped with the IIT conference and the Chicago marathon, so 20 or so additional members of Saurab's family was there. It was nice that they could all meet my parents, so that during the wedding they'll have some level of familiarity. All in all, about 30 people, lots of food, lots of mithai (sweets), lots of gifts, lots of emotions, and lots of love.

So, the pictures that make me remember....


The bringing of the gifts....my mom had made by hand such an amazing draping over the box of gifts they had for Saurab. It was amazing. 



 Now, I am finally officially engaged......goes by in a blink of an eye!











No comments:

Post a Comment